Thursday, September 29, 2016

First Two Weeks:













- Adeline was welcomed home to a beautifully decorated home with pink balloon, banners, streamers, and a handmade sign that the boys and Aunt Emily worked long and hard on. I have a feeling it is going to be difficult to take them down. For now, they are all staying put.

- Gram and Papa were here for over a week to help our family! It was truly such a rich time and such a blessing to have them here. With their extra hands to help, I was able to really rest and recover. Doug was freed up to still do a little bit of work and we even had several mornings where it was just Doug and I and Adeline. We ate ice-cream together each evening, watched all of I'll Have What Phil's Having and many football games, Papa went to his first Oklahoma football game with Doug and Henry, we had yummy meals prepared for us, and Gram even ironed all of Doug's work shirts! It was just so wonderful having them here!

- Our first night home together, Adeline was rather fussy throughout the night. Doug and I were taking turns trying to keep her happy, but finally around 1:30 am we gave in and Doug turned on our lamp and the three of us just laid in bed and just talked and looked at our baby girl. She was so wide awake and just wanted to be held. It was such a sweet and special time with our last little baby. We talked about how our perspective is so different now that this is our third go around at this whole babies growing up so fast thing. I am so thankful for this perspective and for the growth we have experienced as parents.

- Doug has said that every time he gets ready to leave the house, someone is crying. And that is a fair assessment. There are lots of emotions, feelings, and toddler fits flowing in the house. Part of the issue has been the colds that Henry and Jack have been fighting for nearly the entire time we have been home with Adeline. But I think we have finally turned a corner!

- I realized that I only put my shoes on one time in the entire first week of Adeline's life. I barely even went outside! Like my eyes burned a bit and had to adjust to the sunlight once I did have to go outside to take the boys to school. I didn't mind being holed up in the house. Especially with my baby girl.

- We have had such kind and gracious people bringing us meals. Our hearts and bellies are forever grateful.

- The boys have really just done so well loving Adeline. They constantly want to hold her, bring diapers, sing her songs when she is crying, fight over who gets to sit by her at dinner, and constantly check on her. They are proud big brothers for sure.

- It has been such a sweet time in our marriage as well. Doug has loved us all so well and has been incredibly patient with all of our fragile emotions. We have also enjoyed the slower pace of his work schedule the past two weeks as we have adjusted to life as a family of five. Our mornings together have been full of rich and funny conversations. So much laughter together. His care for me as been so deep. He even woke up every time Adeline did the first week and got her out of her bed and helped me up so I could feed her and not hurt my back from leaning over her bed. We are all so blessed by him.

No comments: