Friday, February 12, 2016

Doug's 30th Birthday:









We do not normally celebrate birthday's each year beyond celebrations with our family and each other. But since this was a big one (30!!), I wanted to make sure I put forth a little bit more effort.

We had a birthday party with lots of friends and no babies or kids! The boys went to spend the night at Grandma's house for the night which made it feel even more like an event. I prepared some of Doug's favorite foods through the years. Grapes, Slim Jim's, Butterfingers, pigs-n-blanket, pizza rolls, buffalo wings, cheese and crackers, and we ended the night with cookie pie and ice-cream. We had lots of left-overs (because thankfully we have all matured in our tastes and only need a few pizza rolls). I had tentatively planned a game for the night but we all just ended up talking. The boys played basketball outside for two seconds, Doug danced for us all, the groups of people talking were constantly changing, and at many points it was so loud in the house from all the conversations happening that it was hard to think. It was just about the most perfect night celebrating Doug together.

Then I pulled off my first surprise ever! I had told Doug that Emily was going to come over and watch the boys so we could go out for dessert for his birthday. As he was putting the boys to bed the door bell rang and he went to answer the door. Chris Wiley was there with his drum set ready to relive the old Throwbacks days. A little while later Steven Eiler showed up with his gear. Doug was genuinely surprised and so happy to be playing his bass guitar with some of his favorite people. The boys (miraculously) slept through almost the entire thing. I fell asleep and then a very happy Doug joined me in bed several hours later. I am so so happy it worked out!

And if you were wondering what sentimental, sweet, thoughtful gift I got my 30 year old husband. I got him a travel suit bag. (haha). Not very sweet or sentimental. And in fact Doug said "For as much as you hate it when I leave, you sure are making it easier for me to travel". Which is very true. But practical gifts are the best gifts most of the time.

It was so much fun celebrating my favorite person in the whole world.

No comments: