Not going to lie, the first year of H's life went by pretty slowly. It was hard and there were lots of days that I did not know if we were all going to make it. But this past year, from one to two, has flown by. I think that shows just how much more fun we are having and how much easier it has become. We have figured out how to be parents a bit more and Henry has figured out how to be a human.
Some things to remember...
- Your unique and awesome personality. You love to make people laugh, but on your terms and only when you are comfortable or super tired. You are determined, not easily distracted. You like doing whatever we are doing. If I am in the kitchen you are right there with me. If I am putting laundry away you are just a few steps behind. You do the same thing with Grandma and other people that have watched you.
- You get frustrated very easily and you like to do things exactly how you want them done. Even if those things are not possible. An example: you will stack blocks up high and then want to pick up the entire stack and not have any of them fall. This is not a possibility and it makes you quite mad. We are learning how to remain calm, take breaths, and the importance of trying again.
- You still love books of all kinds. Anything on wheels. Airplanes. Balls of all kinds. Wearing your bike helmet. Your tool bench and hammer and screwdrivers. Diggers, dozers, tractors.
- Favorite books: Brown Bear Brown Bear. Trucks. My First Dictionary. Quick as a Cricket.
Favorite movies/shows: Sesame Street, Winnie the Pooh, Baby Einstein videos, any nature show with animals
- Your memory is pretty amazing. You still talk about our trips to the zoo with great detail. You associate things we see here with things that you have seen or done other places, especially Grandma's house.
- You get claustrophobic and like your space. You are quick to tell us when you are "stuck" if we are sitting to close to you. Still not cuddly or physically affectionate. You need love other ways. At this point in life I would say you need love by spending time with us. When dad leaves you have a breakdown. You say 'with me' lots when you want us to do something with you. And like I said earlier, you just like being where we are.
- You are a good eater and the main issue at meal times are getting you to stay in your seat. Some of your favorites are tacos/burritos, any kind of fruit, yogurt, any kind of baked good, peas, chicken and fries, sandwiches, noodles, cheese, cereal and milk,
- Bedtime routine: jammies, milk and books on the couch, we talk about your day in your bed, pray, and then you ask for a back rub. You are quick to ask or remind us to do one of these steps if we forget.
- You like routine and have a pretty methodical mind at this point. You help dad get dressed in the morning and you walk through each step with him...shirt, pants, hat, wallet, watch, phone, etc...When you help me get ready for my day, many times you look up at me and say 'pretty mama'. It really gets to me. Every single time.
- Things that are hard: Transitions from one thing to the next. Especially when it is time to leave playing outside or leave dad. Lots of fits happen during these times. Staying in bed during naps and bedtime. Working through anger and temper tantrums. Having to sit still for any amount of time. Listening and obeying.
- Things that are wonderful: Listening to your vocabulary grow and grow by the minute, watching you play, your laugh and smile when you are having so much fun, seeing our friends and family members love you, having a buddy throughout our days to play with and do things with, baking together, the way you show us that you love us, and the way you challenge us to be better people every single day.