Thursday, January 10, 2013

Henry and Sleep:


We have struggled through the past year of having stretches of great nights and then stretches of horrible nights of sleep. We are currently in a horrible stretch. Last night we ended up with several long stretches of screaming and then finally me 'sleeping' in the guest bed with Henry. I went in at 6:15 to trade with Doug and get a few hours of sleep. In the middle of all the craziness, Doug and I were talking about what could be causing all this and Doug said "We thought is was spicy food, but it was not that. We thought it was kiwi, but it is not that:..." When he said kiwi I started laughing...pretty sure just out of exhaustion. But at that moment, kiwi was a really funny sounding word.

Remember how I was saying Henry is teaching us so much. This whole sleep thing is really challenging us in our patience and endurance department of our hearts and mind.

If you have any tips on how to get a 13 month old to sleep through the night, we are open to suggestions. We have tried medicine, music, letting him just cry it out, rocking, snuggles, back pats, prayers, and begging.

2 comments:

Katie said...

I have zero tips, but wanted to say that you are not alone! My sister's boy is 20 months and still sometimes does not sleep through the night. We stayed with them a few nights over the holidays and WHOO BOY can that baby scream (at 2am). Hope that is encouraging and not discouraging (since he is older than Henry). Just know you are not alone. Even amazing parents can have tough sleepers.

Claire@MyDevising said...

So sorry it's been tough in the sleep department. Not being a well-rested is really tough. The only tips I can offer are the things that have worked for us. We've done Babywise with Duke (who's almost 15 months now) from the start and he's always been a great sleeper. I know there are lots of opinions surrounding Babywise, but I've found it to be a lifesaver. If you have questions, I'd certainly love to help. :) But either way, I hope this season of sleepless nights will end soon for you guys!