Monday, November 19, 2012

One Week, One Year Part 3

      Well now you know why Danae is the administrator and primary author of our blog. She is far more consistent than I.  But I promised a week's worth of posts and I will follow through (even if part 7 isn't published until Henry's 2nd birthday).

Part 3
      The relief Danae and I felt upon seeing our baby boy after almost 36 hours of labor was soon erased by news that he was showing signs of some difficulty breathing.  After only about 4 minutes with Henry he was taken to the nursery to be monitored closely. As we approach Thanksgiving this week one of the things I am most thankful for is that the nurse was paying close enough attention to my son while administering the routine tests that she noticed a very slight flaring of his nostrils that indicated an issue.  Within hours of his birth Henry stopped breathing while asleep and had to be stimulated in order to get his lungs going again.  It is not worth stating what could have happened to our sweet baby if he had not been under the close watch of the nurses because he is here, and he is safe, and he is healthy.



       This was the first visit I made to the nursery to see Henry.  I was so thankful Henry was awake. He was just staring at my face and was so alert.  I got so much comfort just looking at those eyes. It was about 5 hours after Henry was born that I got to hold him for the first time, but his breathing took another dip just minutes after the nurse handed him to me so he had to go back to the bed.

        My dear friend Jon drove over from Tulsa to be with Danae and I that evening and while he was there the nurse came in to tell us that Henry had stopped breathing again.  I completely broke down. Tears and tears and tears. Something in my eyes must have been irreparably damaged because I have been exceptionally weepy since that time (no thanks for that Henry).  To this point that was the absolute worst I had felt, and my darling wife was going through all of this while recovering from the ridiculous labor. We were desperate for some good stuff.



       It was about 11:00pm before Danae got to come into the nursery with me and by that time we were both able to hold Henry and feed him.  Henry was alert and searching our faces (and just plain beautiful) and we cherished our first moments together as a family in spite of the complications. When we left him he seemed to be doing great which provided much needed peace for some much needed sleep.
 
       Day one of Henry's life was eventful to say the least.  We were not at all expecting what happened the next day but [SPOILER ALERT] there were more tears.

3 comments:

Mom Keena said...

I am so thankful for the wonderful way you both love Henry.

Lindsey said...

Aw, Doug. You are a good dad. I am enjoying these posts.

Jon said...

I read this at 5 o'clock this morning and couldn't help but tear up. I love ol' Henry.