Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Favorites: [Pregnancy and Newborn Edition]

Doug was talking to his brother [his wife is pregnant with their first baby] the other night on the phone about things that we really need and use with Henry. It got me thinking that I should make a list so I can remember them the next time and maybe help some of you out as well.

Pregnancy Favorites:

Epsom Salt Baths - I took one nearly every night towards the end of my pregnancy. The salt helped soothe my sore muscles and were so relaxing.

CamelBak Water Bottle - By the end of my pregnancy, Doug was referring to this water bottle as my best friend. I took it with me everywhere. I would not leave the house until I had my water bottle full and would panic if I could not find it.

10 Minute Solutions: Prenatal Pilates - I did this video almost everyday and I think it helped me not get too sore or achy.

Old Navy Maternity Yoga Pants- I wore these pants pretty much every single day. What I did not know, is that I would wear them for a week straight after I had Henry because I had so much swelling in my legs that they were the only pants I owned that fit.

Coconut Oil - I was given some expensive 'belly butter' as a gift but I found it to be too sticky and I could never rub it in very well. I started rubbing coconut oil into my skin and it was not sticky and helped keep the growing belly well hydrated.

Cellphone Camera- I loved taking a picture every week. I might get sentimental looking back at them now and knowing that it was little Henry in there growing all along.

Tennis Ball- Doug would roll the tennis ball all around my back at night and it helped ease the aches and pains.

Baby Favorites:

Fisher Price Rock and Play Sleeper - We used this for naptime, awake time, and travel bed. It is nice because you can easily move it around the house and it cocoons them. We recently used it when Henry had a bad cold and needed to sleep slightly elevated to help with congestion.

Snappies Bottles-  When we were in the NICU we were given a bag of these bottles so I could pump and bring in milk for them to feed Henry. I did not realize that they would become our favorite way to feed him a bottle even when we were at home. You can pump directly into the bottle, freeze the bottle, and then feed from it. Nothing fancy, just very simple. And the lids are already attached so you don't lose them!

Burts Bees Baby Oil- Henry's first several weeks of life were a little rough. He would get very cranky in the evenings. It helped to give him a bath and then a baby massage. This oil smells wonderful and was not as cold or annoying to Henry was lotion was.

Hidden in My Heart Lullaby's - The songs are beautiful and soothing. And can calm down a frazzled and frustrated baby and/or mom in just a few minutes!

FuzziBunz Diapers - I love using cloth diapers. This is the only kind that we have really used because we were able to buy several on mega sale before Henry was born. I love that we save money and less chemicals  on his sweet bum.

Baby Carrier - I have used both the Moby Wrap and the Baby Bjorn. The Moby wrap is more comfortable than the Bjorn, but it is much more difficult to put on and take off. So I have ended up using the Bjorn more for simplicity reasons. My dream is the Ergo baby carrier. Maybe someday.

Prefold Diaper Burp Cloths - My mom gave us a bunch of these and we use them all the time. Like every single day. They are scattered throughout our house, car, and even in Doug's office. They are so simple and perfect.


2 comments:

KillerB said...

A GREAT list, Danae! Thank you for taking the time to write this up like this.

Erin said...

you are such a good mom. : ) Have I mentioned how much I miss you lately?