Friday, July 15, 2011

10 Summers Part II:

2006: We were both on staff together again. I worked in the canteen and he was a counselor for our leadership development program. I had just gotten back from living in Illinois for the school year. We had done the super long distance thing for several months, so we were so happy to see each other everyday. We also had one of the most serious conversations about our relationship that we have ever had. At the beginning of the summer we were sitting on the swing outside the office and I really thought that he was going to end our relationship. He did not feel like he deserved me, was not sure if marriage was for him, and was processing a whole lot from his parent's divorce. I sat in silence because I knew that I was not going to be the one to utter the words of a break-up. I told him I would be patient and wait for him to come to some conclusions. Thankfully those conclusions were to continue dating. In fact...later on that summer he took me to the West 40, danced with me to my favorite music, and told me that he was falling in love with me.

2007: Was our last summer on summer staff. Doug was in a major leadership role and I was working with the leadership development campers. Our schedules were totally opposite, so we were able to spend minimal quality time together. We saw each other every day, but it was mainly just in passing. I would go to our good friends office and sit and cry/whine/complain about how I just wanted to spend time with Doug and I just wanted to be engaged. Justin listened like a champ and never gave in to tell me that Doug was working on a plan to propose to me at the end of the summer. Doug saved all his paychecks that summer to pay for ring, worked on his off time to create a beautiful gift for me, and never gave any indication of when a proposal would come.

2008: We got married in the chapel here at camp on May 11th. It was a perfect and beautiful day. We were in between jobs and moving so we were able to come and volunteer together for a week during summer camp. It felt really weird to walk to our cabin together at the end of the night as a married couple. Since so many summers before we had to give our goodbye's at our cabin doors.

2009: My dad has been the Family Camp speaker several times over the past 15 years. We all came together as one, big Keena family to Family Camp. It was a celebration of my mom's 50th birthday and a wonderful time of reliving so many memories as a family that we shared here during all those summers we came to family camp together.

2010: Doug was asked to speak during staff training. We drove over from Tulsa for the night and I listened to Doug speak at the outdoor chapel to the summer staff. In the back of my mind I sat thinking about how much this place means to us and how much we love to work here on resident staff someday. There were no possibilities, offers, or openings at the time. It was simply a thought in my mind. A few weeks later we were contacted about an unexpected job opening. And they wanted Doug to interview for the position. We came over for an interview, waited, accepted the job, and moved from our old jobs and old home to our new home and our new life. We were here for the last three weeks of summer camp.

2011: This weekend marks the one year anniversary of us making the big move and taking a big step of faith. Believing that the Lord would provide all that we needed and believing that this is where the Lord wants us to be living and serving. And this summer also marks the first time that it is not just Doug and I here at camp together..but we also have a little one growing inside. A little tiny person that we will bring home from the hospital to one of the most special places in the world to Doug and I.

4 comments:

Katie said...

I love this. :)

Mom Keena said...

So glad you two have had your ten years together! You are a wonderful couple.

Bethany Keena said...

Congratulations! :) It's so special to see in the "rear view mirror" how the Lord had everything in mind. Even having a friend to whine too. Special place.

Erin said...

Love it and Love you!