Tuesday, March 31, 2009

A lesson I will learn a thousand times

Perhaps I am feeling thoughtful, or sentimental because of the rain. Or maybe I am just avoiding my copious amounts of Hebrew homework. Whatever the motivation for my third post on the Castle family blog it somehow seems appropriate.

Danae has done a spectacular job of keeping everyone posted on our planning process ever since we found out that she would no longer be employed at the end of this semester. We are so thankful for all of our friends and family that take time to listen to us and give their advice, and also for the prayers we know are being lifted up on our account. I cannot tell you how much your kind words and encouragement mean to me, and I know Danae feels the same.

It does not surprise me that God is teaching Danae and I a lesson through all of this. What does surprise me a bit is that it is a lesson I felt like I had mastered already. Silly me. I can think of many crucial moments in my life where I was tossed in a sea of confusion wondering what would become of me, only to have the raging waves quelled by the simple thought 'hold your plans loosely.' Only a fool could think he was wise enough to have been the original creator of such a profound thought. I was, and have been at several times, just such a fool.

The thing is even as I have been humbled time and again, and learned to credit God with such soothing comfort, I have not yet reached, and never will reach, a point when I will not be dependent on the Lord. No matter how many times I learn to hold my plans loosely, I will always need the Lord to teach and correct me. It is my joy to be counseled and my hope to be humble.


"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge;

Fools despise wisdom and instruction." Proverbs 1:7


-Douglas E. Castle

2 comments:

Beth said...

well said. well said.

jasonandchrista said...

What a good reminder.

thanks for that.