Wednesday, January 3, 2018
- You are still eating new foods like a champ. You gobble up avocado and banana and love kiwi and your oatmeal cereal. You tolerate peas and carrots, sweet potatoes, green beans, and squash.
- You are still sleeping so well at night and during naps. You still suck on your little pointer finger as soon as we put you in your bed at night. You are still taking from 2-3 naps a day and nearly every time you wake up you just lay in your bed and play and are so happy to see us when we come in to get you.
- You took your first bath sitting in the big tub with both of your brothers. You looked so big and you loved having them close to you.
- You are generally just so pleasant and laid back. If you are fed, changed, and not tired you sit on the floor or on the couch with us and just contentedly play with toys.
- You love bouncing on the trampoline in the evening. Especially with the boys running around and Dad peeking in the net to say Hi to you.
- I told Dad tonight at dinner that I think you are happiest when I am holding you and you can see Dad. So not needy at all. Haha. But really you prefer me to hold you but you are mesmerized by your Dad.
- You have started the dreaded rolling all over and crying during diaper changes. Why must all babies go through that stage! I know it will pass soon enough, but for now we work really hard and really fast to get you dressed so you can get to rolling and sitting up again.
Tuesday, April 18, 2017
- 34 pounds! 3'3"!
- You are such a fun little boy! You love to make us laugh and bring constant joy.
- You are a natural at helping. Teachers always tell me that you helped stack the chairs or pick up all the crayons. Even at home you are more naturally drawn towards helping clean up the toys or put books away.
- You love trucks, fire trucks, diggers, etc.
- When you started counting you would always say 3,4,5,10,2. Like every single time you were counting things. But then we were driving out to Colorado and you started to count the wind mills and you counted perfectly up to 13. Proof right there that you are silly and like to make us laugh. You knew all along how to count but knew that we would laugh if you just said 3,4,5,10,2.
- I am hoping your letters are the same way because currently you only get R and O right every single time we ask you letters. All the others you get this silly look on your face and just randomly guess a letter. And you call them numbers. Silly boy. R is for sure your favorite letter (if that is even thing) and you point out any that you see.
- When we have family meetings to try to decide what we are going to do or where we are going to go you always say "chicken and noodles". Not sure why but again it makes us laugh so you continue to say it every time.
- You love reading books and your current favorite is this box of Finding Dory mini books. There are about twelve of them and we read them all. You also really like the book Dig
- When you are saying bye you say "toooodles"
- You are a pretty good sleeper. You just stopped sleeping with your paci at night and with that going it seems like your love for your blankie has also suffered. Last night you did come get me in the middle of the night to sleep with you in your bed. I crawled next to you and I thought you had fallen back to sleep so I got ready to go back to my bed and you sat up and said "but I will miss you mom". So I laid back down for several more minutes.
- You love playing with Henry throughout the day and ask me often where he is if you can't find him. You also love Adeline and love to give her hugs and kisses and you lay your head on her head which honestly just stresses me out but you like it for some reason.
- You feel all the emotions in big ways. We have to correct you to use your "big voice" throughout the day because whining is kinda second nature for you. We are working on it though.
- You tell us you love us out of the blue. And then proceed to list all our family members. You also give kisses and hugs so freely. You are such a sweet sweet boy.
- You like praying but you always ask us to help you. So you repeat our words and always rush to say Amen at the end.
- You also always ask us to read David and Goliath. Like every single night.
- You are potty trained! But keep having lots of accidents throughout the day at home. I think you just get playing and don't want to stop. But you run off down the hall and change your clothes and come back out to play all on your own. Most days around 4 pm you change into your jammie pants for the remainder of the day. You like to be comfortable.
- You have a major sweet tooth and somehow can convince us to give you just one more bite of cookie, candy, cake, or whatever else we might be eating that is sugary. I might have also found candy wrappers and a pair of scissors hiding under Adeline's crib that you were for sure responsible for. You love your sugar.
- You are so active, constantly moving, always dirty, and you are constantly making noise. So basically you are a perfect three year old boy. Who we all love very very very much!
We had such a sweet and simple Easter weekend. Charles came over for the weekend to join the family and Henry and Jack were very very excited about that. Jack called him "Carl" pretty much the entire time even though he knew he was saying his name wrong. But thankfully, he sure does not mind.
We had friends over for a Easter Party on Saturday morning. I made cinnamon rolls that rose waaay too big and were spilling out of the pan, but thankfully they still tasted fine. We hid some eggs in the back yard and watched the kids run around. It is always so nice to be able to just float from conversation to conversation with some really special people. And then Doug suggested we take Easter pictures the night before. Since we would not be in a rush and our spirits would still be mostly high. It was a genius idea and worked out perfectly.
Sunday we had breakfast and Aunt Emily joined us bringing chocolate eggs for all. Doug made pancakes, eggs, and bacon. Doug and I hopped down the hallway bringing the boys their baskets. That has quickly turned into a tradition. We went to church and then headed to Grandma Karen's for lunch. Grandma and Grandpa Johnson joined us as we ate ham, turkey, bread, brussel sprout salad, and finished with ice-cream and jelly beans and apple crisp.
We came home and rested and watched shows and ordered pizza and had an early bedtime for the boys.
Monday, April 17, 2017
Well girl, these pictures are much much better than any of your other monthly photos because Aunt Grace took them. Can we talk about for one second how we literally sat you down on the blanket and you immediately flashed us the best smile and continued to do the same for the entire time. You are so precious and beat both of your brothers in the picture department. No competition.
-You weigh 15 pounds 3 ounces and are 26 inches
- We attempted giving you some solid foods this month but let's just say your system got all stopped up and you screamed and cried so much and then we had the opposite problem, so I quit giving them to you altogether. You didn't mind at all not having them. And I was relieved to not have to be obsessively checking your diaper for poo every five minutes. We will try again next month.
- You and I went on our first (of hopefully many!) girls trip. Aunt Christa, Aunt Emily, and you and I headed to Fargo to spend time in Aunt Grace's home for a Keena Girl's weekend. Overall you did very well in the loooong car ride! The first night you and I ended up sleeping on a the floor together because we didn't have your pack-n-play yet and I was a nervous wreck thinking of you sleeping there alone or squeezing you into the tiny bed. It was a sweet but uncomfortable night. The next day you slept like a champ through meals and multiple coffee stops and shopping. It was such a special four days with just you and me! We came home to very anxious boys and they had bought each of us a welcome home bouquet of flowers. We are very well loved!
- You have been doing so well in your baby class at school and you might just be the favorite. You don't fuss too much when I leave you but when I come back in the room to nurse you or pick you up your entire face lights up and it makes my whole life.
- You are sitting up so well and we rarely even have a pillow behind you anymore. You ride in grocery carts and sit in high chairs now which is one the best baby milestones in my opinion.
Thursday, March 16, 2017
- 44 pounds! 3'9"!
- Taking pictures of you is nearly impossible at the moment so these pictures of you watching t.v. will have to do. Speaking of tv. You still love Wild Kratt's and have been known to throw a fit if you miss it coming on at 4 in the afternoon.
- Your love for all animals and reptiles and creatures just continues to grow. Your favorite books are all animal books. Like big fat encyclopedias of animals. Your favorites are still reptiles. You also got your first pet snake! Dad took you to a reptile show and you picked an orange and black sand boa and named him Ryder. Your smile! You are so so happy to finally have your own snake.
- You are officially the sweetest big brother. Especially to Adeline. You are so aware of her and say the sweetest things about her being the cutest baby in the whole world and when you walk by her you always stop to say hi and give kisses and hold her hand. You are a great big brother to Jack as well. You are concerned about him and run to give him hugs after school each day. There are fights for sure and you both know how to make each other mad but that is to be expected.
- You are in your second year of preschool and it is just so fun to see how much you have grown in the past two years. You told me your teachers were so impressed that you knew all your lowercase letters and I kinda think you have better handwriting than I do. Your best bud at school this year is Shepherd and your favorite "class" is science.
- You are an incredibly talented artist (in my humble opinion). It is no surprise that your favorite things to draw are animals and our family. You also draw lots of detailed dragons.
- You love playing board games. Especially with Dad. But you and Jack are playing games together at this moment in the other room. Some favorites are your new Wild Kratt's game, Sequence, memory, and Uno.
- You started riding your bike and love coming up with new tricks. Your other favorite thing to do outside is jumping on the trampoline.
- You are very talkative especially when we are in the van driving around town.
Posted by D.R.C + D.E.C at 12:36 PM
Friday, March 3, 2017
- The month some more hair actually started to grow on top of your sweet little head. You have a little patch of hair that sticks straight up in the air no matter what I do.
- Let's not ever forget how your head smells after your bath and the way you kick kick kick your legs back and forth in the water like it is your job to do so.
- You have been sleeping well still but getting up between 4-6 am wanting to eat. I get you and bring you to our bed to nurse and then you fall asleep between dad and me. And I wake up an hour or so later with a major cramp in my arm from sleeping weird on it while you are next to me. I don't mind though.
- You love your toys! Especially your keys. If you are playing with them and you drop them you promptly let our a scream to let us know you are not happy about not having your toy any longer. Most of the time you immediately stop crying after I give them back to you.
- You are just starting to figure out the sitting up thing. You get tired about half way through, but you have ridden in grocery carts and sit up to play with your pillow behind you.
- You continue to love playing on your play mat with your birds and sitting in your walker chewing on your keys while I do things around the house. You sent patiently just waiting for someone to look at you and then your face breaks into a huge smile.
Thursday, February 9, 2017
We packed up and headed to Montana for Christmas this year. Our first Christmas there in five years! The drive was daunting but the kids were fantastic basically the entire way there and back. We stopped in Colorado and stayed at Bethany and Jack's. It was so nice to break up the trip and extra nice to get to be in their home and see the bakery Bethany works at and burn energy off at the library, park, and indoor swimming pool.
Bethany and Jack left a few hours after us to finish the trip to Montana. Emily surprised the whole crew and flew up to join us for Christmas. The Clark's made it in on Christmas Eve and Nick and Grace made the drive over from Fargo. (Sadly, Grace was sick nearly the entire time and only got to hold Adeline for like 2 seconds).
We went to the Christmas Eve service at church and Doug and I cried through Silent Night with our sweet family and the boys each inhaled about twelve candy canes through the service. We went home to make potstickers for dinner.
Christmas morning was a blur of chaos trying to get skype to work to see Andrew, making breakfast, feeding children, and exchanging our Secret Angel gifts. The men of the family headed out to ski while the woman and children stayed back to flip through cookbooks, make dinner, take naps, and help children in and out of snow gear all day.
The men came back home with huge smiles plastered all over their faces and Doug told me it was one the best day ever! The snow was perfect and the company was fun. We ate a big dinner together.
We also managed to squeeze in a trip to get Red Tractor Pizza, eat at the Coffee Pot twice!, went to the best thrift stores, went sledding on the big sled hill, and played nightly games together. But isn't the highlight always just being together and making way to many pots of coffee to drink together throughout the day?
We went to the doctor this month and had another round of shots. She was much more needy this time around and poor girl just held her legs like they hurt for a few days after. She also had her first cold this month and we have several sleepless nights working through all the snot and all the coughs.
She weighs 13 pounds 8 oz and is 24.8 inches long!
This month she has started to play with her birds hanging on her play mat more, sitting up in her walker, and chewing on all the toys!
She rolled over for the first time! With much coaching and encouragement and now that she has done it once she doesn't want to do it much. She can go from front to back and back to front.
She is still sleeping and eating like a champion! Besides being picky about the bottles that is.
Tuesday, January 3, 2017
The Christmas season really is just so much fun. Especially with kids. This year we decided to just put up our mini artificial tree to save money and especially since we were not even home for Christmas day this year. Doug hung lights on our house and the big reveal showed that one strand of lights were not working. The next night Doug headed back up on the roof to fix the problem. I loved getting to hang my FIVE stockings over the fireplace this year. Our little sweet family.
Henry had a Christmas program at school. He did great! All second year students had a speaking part. Henry practiced his line for weeks and when it came time to say it he took a deep breath in and then quickly said "Please join us for pictures and treats". He said it so quickly the entire audience laughed. We were so proud of him.
We took the kids downtown to Doug's office for a fun Christmas evening. Santa was there. Henry asked for a toy alligator and Jack just kept rummaging through Santa's bag for more candy canes. Adeline was not so sure and just fussed through the whole thing. Doug took Henry ice-skating while I kept Jack and Adeline in the warm. We decorated Doug's cubicle with snowflakes while he was gone.
We made christmas ornaments and cookies and delivered them to neighbors. I got some glitter glue this year which helped us not have glitter sticking to everything for months after the project.
We had such a sweet Christmas season together!
This year we went over to Grandma Karen's house for a big meal with family. Charles came over for the weekend and joined in the fun. I made rolls and a pie and stressed out way to much about my rolls not rising. They still tasted alright thankfully. Grandma and Grandpa Johnson joined us and it is always so special when they do. The boys all played well together. So well in fact, I don't think Henry or Jack actually ate much lunch. They were way to distracted by all the fun that cousins bring. Adeline was passed around and won the most adorable award.
There is so much to be thankful for each and every day but I sure do love taking a break from the day to day to be thankful for all the blessings that flow from our lives.